I did something I hadn’t done yet this election season: read what scripture says. Instead, I’ve been filled up with the latest debate, poll, opinion (even from wonderful Christian leaders), and had yet to get my face in God’s Word. In John 5 Jesus talks about the Jewish Leaders and says, “you diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me…”. These verses left me with conviction which converted into a personal application. This election season, I’ve been confused, appalled by what is outrightly wrong, frustrated, etc and yet have refused to come to Jesus. I’ve been filled up with pride, outrage, and anger even toward fellow believers, and it’s wrong, scripture is pretty clear about what anger towards a brother or sister is … murder.
I wasn’t planning on writing another post about the election, and I’m not necessarily. Instead, I’m just going to share my “scribbles” of scripture with you. If you are like me, and need the truth from the source of Truth and had yet to go there, well here you go. These verses and passages may even take you to more places in scripture, and I hope it does. God is personal and I hope this leads to a personal journey with Him.
I want to help you navigate this a little bit so let me explain how this time went for me. I started with the 10 Commandments because that made sense with me – God’s commands to a messed up people, Israelites. Next, my eyes caught the attention of commandment six: do not murder, and mostly because of the heightened hate toward Democrats and Republicans on the sad, painful issue of abortion. I began to ask God “how do you define murder”. From there I simply asked him, “and now what” and another part of scripture would come to mind and I would go there and then ask “and now what” again and dig and ask and dig and ask. If I ever needed clarity on something, another scripture always came to mind and provided that clarity. I tell you this because it’s important that you know I only interpreted scripture with scripture. I hope this explanation helps you navigate my scribbles bit better!
10 Commandments: Exodus 20
- I am the Lord your God. You must not have any other god but me.
- You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind.
- You must not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
- Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
- Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
- You must not murder.
- You must not commit adultery.
- You must not steal.
- You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.
- You must not covet.
Biblical definition of murder: “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother[a] will be liable to judgment; whoever insults[b] his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell[c] of fire (Matthew 5:21-22)
Father, if this is true, and I trust your word is, help our hearts break as greatly for how you define murder and not just what we see as murder.
James 2:11 “For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”b also said, “You shall not murder.”c If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.”
Jesus’ 2 Greatest Commandments: Matthew 22
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind
- Love your neighbor as yourself
Why is America here? Galatians 6:7 “Don’t be misled-you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant”
Is this what we planted? Father, forgive us.
What should be my hope for this election?
Psalms 47 God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne.
Why Believers Must Live in Unity: Matthew 5: 27-30
what does it mean to have unity among believers: “Christian unity in the New Testament gets its goodness from a combination of its source, its views, its affections, and its aims.” John Piper. (Read more here)
So as believers, our source of unity isn’t pro-life/pro-abortion, pro Trump/ pro Hillary, anti Trump/anti Hillary, etc our source of unity as believers should always be the Holy Spirit that is alive and active in us, if we are truly believers (see scripture below)
1. 1 Corinthians 3:16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
2. 1 Corinthians 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
3. Ezekiel 36:27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.
4. 2 Timothy 1:14 Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you.
5. Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
6. Galatians 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
7. Galatians 4:6 Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!”
What does scripture say about unity?
1. Romans 12:18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone
2. Philippians 2:2 make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.
3. Romans 12:16 Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly Do not be wise in your own estimation.
4. Romans 14:19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.
5. Acts 4:32 And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them.
6. Philippians 1:27 Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
7. Ephesians 4:3 being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
- I am not bound to any law other then God’s now that I am a believer who is led by the Spirit (Galatians 5:18)
- God’s Laws are clearly stated in his Word and his two greatest commands are love Him and love others (Matthew 22)
- any commitment, conviction, obligation better not be a part from what is stated in God’s word and if it’s unclear, pray pray pray and move in faith.
GOD bless America, and GOD bless my other brothers and sisters (in Christ) from all over the world.
In this with you…now,