“These are the things you are to do: Speak the truth to each other, and render true and sound judgment in your courts.”
Zechariah 8:16 (NIV)
Main Truth: God calls his people to be truth tellers.
I’m simple minded. I’m not a crafty mom by any stretch of the word. I like easy, simple and low effort when it comes to spending time in God’s Word with my kids. You can dress this devotional up dress or down what matters is the meat, God’s Word. Even more beautiful…you don’t have to be put together, have a tidy life or be the world’s best mom to tell your kids the truth of God’s Word. God’s Word (alone) is what saves lives. As moms, it’s easy to get distracted by what this mom or that mom is doing and compare, complain and grumble. Here’s the deal, though, all of that is a distraction, distraction from just telling our kids about what is really important…God’s true word (Hebrews 4:12). Please don’t let this be a distraction but an encouragement that training your kids and telling them about God doesn’t have to be anything more than it is … we can just loosen our lips and tell them what God’s Word says. He is the one who changes hearts, we just need to tell them about the Truth (Ezekiel 36:26).
Here is how we spent our devotional time, on being a Truth Teller, as a family:
- Open in prayer: I let each pray. If you kids are young (like mine) I use this as a time to teach them how to pray. I don’t know about you, but sometimes we forget that they don’t know what they are doing until they are taught and this is the perfect time to teach and train them how to pray.
- Read the main truth: I don’t spend a lot of time dancing around this part. I tell my kids what I want them to know and that’s that God calls his people to be truth tellers.
- Open to the verse: I back up the main truth with God’s word by openning my bible to the verse, allowing them to see the verse in the Bible for themselves. The purpose is to teach them (at a young age) to look with their own eyes and read the truth.
- Sing: my kids love music so I incorporate song by making a song out of our main truth. We sing it about three times or as long as they will tolerate. 🙂
- Craft: we made our popsickle stick lips to reiterate the main truth.
- Repeat and Role Play: *see video below 🙂
- Pray: we closed our time in prayer specifically asking God to help us remember to be truth tellers
- Apply: we began applying our main truth into our day and even carried our lips around as a reminder
Moms, I have loved this craft for the visual reminder alone. Recently, one of my kids was having a hard time being truthful and all I had to do was hold up the lips s. Isn’t that just like us, though? Sometimes we get so caught up in living life our way that we forget truth until someone, who loves us, holds it up and says, “remember”.
“Train up a child int he way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.”